Thursday, July 16, 2009

I agree with Pelosi? Yaaaahhhh!

News flash: Michael Jackson remains dead. Now, should the US Congress pass a resolution honoring the late pop star? Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) thinks so. She has introduced a resolution to honor the “King of Pop” on the House floor. But there’s a snag; she has little support.

Whatever Michael Jackson was or wasn’t in terms of being an entertainer, a dysfunctional father and an all-star weirdo, he was nothing if not divisive. In that area he has indeed found life after death. Jackson is dividing the House of Representatives and it’s not along party lines, or even racial lines.

For instance, when the House held a moment of silence following Jackson’s death many representatives walked out of the chamber. Democrats have expressed little interest in Lee’s resolution and she has but one co-sponsor thus far. Heck, even the Congressional Black Caucus doesn’t see fit to honor Michael Jackson.

Whatever you think of Michael Jackson the icon, Michael Jackson the man is not one who should be honored on Capital Hill. Congress should have better things to do than waste time debating an utterly worthless resolution honoring this contrary figure. And this is where I have to (this is going to hurt) join sides with Nancy Pelosi.

Essentially Pelosi said that the resolution was a waste of Congress’ time and would divert attention from more pressing matters. Considering that Pelosi’s legislative concerns include dictating our medical treatments and forcing higher energy bills on every productive American, a diversion may not be that bad. Even so, I have to agree with Nancy that the House floor isn’t the place for a resolution honoring Michael Jackson.

There, I’ve said it! I agreed with Nancy Pelosi on July 9, 2009. I’ve even put it in writing so liberals can hold it over my head from now until kingdom come. And although she’s (ugh!) right in this case, at least in part, it still leaves me felling hopelessly violated.

Pardon me while I go wash my hands.

No comments: